When asking people where to go on my trip to Sacramento, I kept getting recommendations of a taco joint known as Chandos. So on my way to the airport, I stopped by their original location to see what all the fuss was about. This small hole in the wall spot was packed at around dinner time, and I knew that must be a good thing. I found a parking spot, ordered my tacos and grabbed a table to wait and if it lived up to the hype, which I am glad to report it did.
- Cost: $6.50 for three tacos and a drink
- Hours: 10AM – 9PM
- Location: 863 Arden Way, Sacramento, CA 95691
- Recommendation: Anything with Asada and the abodaba is a close second
The first thing I noticed about this spot was how well priced it was. At only $6.50 for three tacos and a drink, it’s a great deal, since you can’t even have an appetizer for that price in most of downtown Sacramento.
I ordered three different types of meat: carnitas, abodaba and Asada and my reviews are as follows. All of the tacos come with guacamole, meat, onions, cilantro and radishes and limes to add as desired.
- Carnitas – A little chewy but a nice full flavor. My least favorite of the three types of meat but it goes well with the red smokey salsa.
- Abodaba – Well cooked and seasoned meat, had a citrus flavor that was really nice. Goes well with the green salsa which is more on the sweet side.
- Asada – My favorite of the bunch, I would order all of mine with this meat next time. The meat is cooked to perfection and has a strong smokey flavor. I liked the red salsa with this one as well as it added a little heat to the taco.
I came back again in 2018, and while the prices have gone up a little bit, the food is still fantastic. This time I tired the mulitas, which is like a quesadilla taco with meat, cheese, and guac.
I also got the street elote, which is one of my favorite things to get a Mexican food spot and which was great here as well. So Chandos Tacos is still going strong in 2018.
All in all, this is an excellent spot for lunch or dinner in Sacramento, it is cheap, and the food is fantastic, what more could you want? Let me know what your favorite item is in the comments.